Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Orange Cream Cake


Several years ago, as I was getting ready for work, I was watching the local morning news when a Mr. Food segment came on. I always looked forward to watching Mr. Food and seeing what recipes he would come up with. On this particular day I saw him prepare an Orange Cream Cake and while making it, he said that it tasted a little like a creamsicle. Now I’m not a big fan of artificial orange flavor but, as a child loved creamsicles and thought that this recipe sounded interesting, so I made a point of going to the computer and copying this recipe to try out at some later date. A few weeks later I decided to make this cake and take it into work where it was a hit.

I was trying to decide on a dessert to prepare for the Fourth of July and really didn’t feel like chocolate or anything too heavy or sweet. I started looking through my recipes and came upon this one, which I hadn’t made in a year or two and had actually forgotten about, so decided that it was time for it to make a comeback. I made it and served it after a meal of brats, potato salad, deviled eggs and other summertime picnic fare. The cake was light and cool and was the perfect dessert to serve after all of that food on a hot and humid summer day.

Orange Cream Cake
Print Recipe

1 package orange cake mix (18.25 ounces) - Duncan Hines is the only orange mix I can find
1 package orange-flavored gelatin (4-serving size)
2 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups water
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup orange juice
1 package instant vanilla pudding mix (4-serving size)
1 tablespoon sugar
1 can crushed pineapple (8 ounces) drained
1 container frozen whipped topping (8 ounces) thawed

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9"x13" baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. In a large bowl, beat together the cake mix, gelatin mix, eggs, oil and water until well blended. Pour into the baking dish.

Bake for about 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool.

Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, make frosting by beating the cream cheese and orange juice. Add the pudding mix and sugar; beat well. Stir in the pineapple until well combined, then beat in the whipped topping. Frost the cooled cake, cover loosley and chill for at least one hour before serving. Store leftovers in the refrigerator.

Makes 12 to 15 servings

**Recipe courtesy of Mr. Food

Orange cake mix

Add orange gelatin

Eggs

Then oil and water

Mix together

Pour batter into prepared 9x13 inch baking dish

Bake and cool completely

Mix together cream cheese and orange juice

Add instant vanilla pudding and sugar

Mix in drained pineapple

Mix in whipped topping 

Chill at least an hour before serving. Yikes...such a dark picture; I was losing my natural light.

Look at all of that artificial orange loveliness..... 



As Mr. Food would say, "Ooooooooo it's so good!"

3 comments:

Patti T. said...

I have several of his cookbooks and he has a lot of good recipes. I am printing this out to give a try.

Kenna Lou said...

Sheryle, This looks and sounds delicious! I can't wait to try it out on the people at church :)

Patti T. said...

Oops, I forgot to come back and say that I made this and it was very good. Every one was fighting over the leftovers. Glad I had recipes printed up to give out.

Related Posts with Thumbnails